10.31.2008

UPCAT the movie



I learned about this movie at another blog, the movie was made by a UPLB Devcom grad. The setting was not it UP Diliman, but in UP Los Banos, which made me more curious (and now excited) to see the movie. The theme of the movie is about passing the UPCAT exam, a UP or nothing dilemma for a soon-to-be high school graduate.

The sneak peak gives me a glimpse of my old UPLB life, from the jeepney to the oblation. And my own UPCAT experience. I took the exam not really because I wanted to go to UP. I took it because everyone in my high school batch took it. When I was filling-up the application form, you have to choose 2 UP campuses ( a first and second choice). While most of my batchmates chose the Diliman campus as their first choice and the Los Banos (LB) campus as their second choice, I did the opposite. I intentionally picked LB as my primary campus! Why? Being a Quezon City resident all my life and having the feeling of being too sheltered, I longed to be independent and live on my own (sort of). Ofcourse, my parents did not know that I chose LB, all along they thought I took UPCAT to get into the Diliman campus.

The day before I took the exam, I remembered that I did not do anything special or out of the ordinary, I only remember that I prepared only a couple of pencils. I did not even think of what should I wear or what my snack should be. I even don't remember if my parents accompanied me to Diliman (where I took the exam) or did I just went there on my own? I did review a bit but I did not really stress about it. It was like if I pass then good for me and if I don't then I'll try my luck at another university. To be honest about it, at that time, it wasn't really a big deal for me (but now I realized that it was a big deal pala...). And I felt like I just took just another exam, it wasn't really that hard for me.

While waiting for the UPCAT results -- which took a while to be released, I took two more entrance exams at two universities, UST and Ateneo. These schools were recommended by my high school alma mater, thus all of us seniors took these exams.

The day of my UST exams, I was thrilled! Why? Because it was the same day that UST was holding its annual fair or foundation day wherein there were lots of activities, rides, etc. in the campus. Since I haven't been to one of this things (yeah, my HS days are boring...no JS prom, no fairs), I remember answering the exam as fast as I could so I could check out the campus happenings! I was the first one in the room to hand over my answer sheet. I wasn't even worried if I flunked!

Next exam was Ateneo, which was quite unmemorable to me. Why? Maybe because I flunked! hahaha! I just remember that I don't want to go there coz the tuition is too high and I know that my parents would have a hard time sending me there, and that I don't really like the campus because I spent most of my HS weekends there learning how to swim and dive. Ateneo did not excite me. Sorry.

The day came when I learned that I passed UST, I felt good but not really jumping-for-joy-happy kind of thing. It was good that I have a school to go to but not excited because the course I chose there was Nursing. The course my mom wants me to take. On hindsight, I took the UST exam because my mom wants me to be a nurse. But I know I don't want to be one. I did not tell them yet that I passed UST. I waited for the UPCAT results.

When I learned that I passed the UPCAT, I was really really deliriously happy! Even if I don't know anyone from LB, I know that it is the school for me! Ofcourse, I immediately told my parents about it and they were happy as well (and I forgot about UST! but my parents learned about it from one of my HS batchmates though...)

So that was it! All along I was like a UP or nothing pala! LB is one of the life-changing moments for me. It thought me a lot in living my life beyond the walls of the classroom. Grabe! ELBI is the best! ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Going to UPLB is the best possible thing a college student can seriously experience. Only serendipity can bring such destiny.