11.20.2008

Rant About A Not So Great Hotel

Shooting events such as weddings, debuts, anniversaries,etc. usually brings us to different hotels and other venues in and out of Metro Manila. In the case of hotels, we get to wait and/or shoot in the guest rooms, function rooms, lobby, restaurants, even parking lots. Although some hotels requires permits if you want to shoot in their lobby or staircase, generally, hotel rules are pretty accommodating to photographers (videographers too). Until one fine day when we have to shoot a client's preparation prior to the actual event in Great Eastern Hotel in Quezon Avenue. We make sure that we are always in time for our job, this particular day, our client was running late and haven't checked in yet in the said hotel. No problem with us, we will just wait. After parking in the hotel's "dim" parking area we proceeded to the hotel's lobby so we could take a sit and wait.

We found a seat and after about 5 seconds a hotel staff approached our group and told us that we cannot wait at the said area, and we asked why? He said that its the hotel's policy that photographers cannot wait in their lobby area and that there is a designated place for waiting which is a cafe or something in front of the hotel. We asked the staff why is it their hotel policy? He doesn't know the answer and told us to ask the front desk people. One of my companions did ask, and the answer he got is that they have official photographers in the hotel. So what?!!! Do they think that we will do a marketing campaign inside their hotel? Do they think that we will approach each hotel guest and sales talk them in getting our services? We really find the reasoning absurd!

Since the hotel has a "second lobby" on its 8th floor, we decided to just go there instead. All seats and sofa were occupied by guests when we got there, so we just waited in one area, by the way we are 4 in our group. Again, the front desk staff waived at our group to approach her, and being a well-educated and civil person that I am, I approached her (although I already know what she will say). Again, they told us that we cannot wait in their lobby. I told her that we were just waiting for a client who is running late. She replied that we can wait in the lobby if we do not have our cameras and other paraphernalias with us. What?! Say that again??? So I asked her if we could leave our cameras with them while we wait for the client and ofcourse I know that she will say no (by this time I was already testing them). She even suggested that we could leave our cameras in the car or in their designated area and then wait in the lobby. Are they out of their mind? What if our cameras get stolen or damaged? Will the management replace or pay for it? I don't think so...

Maybe you are thinking why don't I just follow their rules. To wait in the designated area. Well we did, actually, we went to check out the said area. Its outside the building but within its premises, open area with concrete round tables and chairs. Its not really bad but what really irked me and my companions is how they treated us , and the reason behind their policy. Its like discrimination against photographers.

We didn't stay long at the waiting area cause our client arrived shortly. After our client checked in we immediately started our shoot, because we wanted to leave the hotel already.

As we were leaving, I told Dada (he was with us that day...he drove for us) that we were never treated that way in the other hotels like Shangri-la, Manila Hotel, Peninsula, Sofitel, Crowne Plaza even in smaller hotels like Astoria, Richmonde, G Hotel, Imperial Palace, even the old Camelot hotel is way way better. Then he said, that is exactly the reason you weren't treated badly at those hotels because those are top-notch hotels and knows great customer service. I realized, oo nga no?! Great Eastern is not at par with these hotels. They are not "great" at all, period. Never will I recommend this hotel to any of my clients, family, friends and even strangers. So if you are looking for a hotel and you are in a budget, I could recommend hotels that are way way better.

I still have a lot to say about their not-so-great service but I think I've already said my piece. So there, that's my rant.

*remind me to post a rave on the following hotels who treats/treated us very well (Ex. Manila Peninsula, Edsa Shangri-la, Makati Shangri-la, Manila Hotel, Sofitel, Richmonde, Crown Plaza, Manila Pavillion)

1 comment:

BAM! said...

naku. walang kuwenta. dapat malaman ng mga sangkatauhan na ganun sila hehe